Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My First Rodeo

Well maybe it wasn't a rodeo, but it was my first bartending competition.  It was the Harlem Make your Best Shot Competition.  Which was a nationwide circuit to find some of the best shots using Harlem Kruiden Liqueur put on by the Tasting Panel Magazine.  Mixologists from around the Country competed to have their shot named the best.


























If you aren't familiar with Harlem it's a Kruiden Liqueur,  Kruiden being Dutch for Herbal, distilled and bottled by the Nolet Family, the same family that has been crafting Ketel One Vodka for the last 300+ Years.  I like to describe Harlem bluntly as Grand Marnier with balls.  It's 80 proof with heavy notes of orange and spice, and lacks the in your face anise and syrupiness ever prevalent in Jagermeister. If you haven't tried Harlem I personally reccommend you go out and try an ice cold straight shot or try any of your favorite mixed Jagermeister shots and have your mind blown.  Check them out online at www.harlemshots.com.

I competed in South Beach with some of Florida's best talent and entered  the competition with my shot: Duchess.   This being my first competition I didn't want to enter with anything too crazy or unrealistic for your typical bartender to be able to whip up, but in hindsight it sure would have helped me score better with the judges...


Duchess
4 Parts Harlem
2 Parts Fragoli Italian Strawberry Liqueur
1 Part St. Germaine
Fresh Lime Zest

Simply combine all the spirits in a shaker filled with ice and zest a couple swipes off a fresh lime making sure to get as much of the oils as possible directly into the shaker.  Shake it like a polaroid and double strain it into a chilled shot glass making sure to remove all of the zest to prevent it from getting stuck in your teeth!


























I made Duchess to play off the soft side of Harlem, sweeting it up slightly while leaving the shot distinctively Harlem.  I took second Place in both the Judges voting and as the crowd favorite missing 1st place in both categories by a hair.  My highlight of the trip was when Anthony Dias Blue, the editor of the Tasting Panel Magazine, told me that Duchess in his mind was the best Harlem shot that he had had to date. Not bad for my first attempt.  Don't just take his or my word for it and be sure to try out both Harlem and a Duchess for yourself, and check out the winners' recipes in the Tasting Panel's November issue at www.tastingpanelmag.com, and be sure to follow Harlem at www.harlemshots.com/harlemblog.  Check me out rocking the purple in the picture above with the rest of the Florida competitors.

Until next time, Proost!

-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment