Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grand Ma's Hundred Year Anniversary

So I just got a new toy in today that I really enjoyed: Grand Marnier's Cuvee du Centenaire.







































This product in my mind is nothing short of amazing, albeit this is coming from a huge fan of Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge.  It's orange notes are significantly more intense, and the spice creeps through a little more than the Cordon Rouge.  The Cuvee Du Centenaire tastes almost like a Grand Marnier reduction and if it were not for the nose through the snifter reminding me there was still 40% ABV, I would find it hard to believe that this product contained any alcohol.  It flirts with being almost too sweet and walks the line perfectly.

I'm a huge fan of French connections and often enjoy them as dessert or a nightcap, as they keep the Cordon Rouge flavor and mellow it out with rich Cognac.  So I started thinking right after my first sip how this would go in a connection.  I typically use a VS Cognac in my Cordon Rouge Connections, but with the heavy sweetness of the Cuvee Du Centenaire I decided to go with a drier VSOP.  I would typically think it blasphemous to mix such a stellar product, but I went ahead and did so to satisfy my curiosity.

Cuvee Connection
1 Part Grand Marnier Cuvee Du Centenaire
1 Part Remy Martin VSOP

I'm a big fan of the Remy VSOP and it Paired great with the Cuvee Du Centenaire, as it dried it out just enough while leaving distinctively Cuvee Du Centenaire.  This Cocktail is extremely well balanced and takes away the overly sweet tones that masked the complexity of the Cuvee Du Centenaire.  The only negative about this cocktail is that it made me want to find a dark corner and take a nap.

All in all I'm pretty impressed by this offering and would definitely recommend it to somebody wanting to branch out from the Cordon Rouge.

Until next time, Sante!

-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment